Where can I do my Community Service for a DUI?

Home |  Where can I do my Community Service for a DUI?

A driving under the influence (DUI) conviction can result in many consequences such as a requirement to complete community service. Under Rhode Island General Laws 31-27-2, you will be required to complete 10 to 60 hours of community service under a first offense DUI conviction. It is important to understand the requirements to fulfill these community service hours so you do not waste time or energy on volunteer service that does not qualify.

The experienced attorneys at Ellison Law LLC, have helped many Rhode Island clients avoid DUI convictions and have helped many clients reduce or eliminate penalties associated with DUI convictions.

What Organizations Qualify For Community Service For A DUI In Rhode Island?

To qualify for community service under a DUI conviction, you must complete your community service hours at a 501(c) nonprofit organization. These organizations include animal shelters, soup kitchens, churches, hospital programs, and more. See the Rhode Island Department of Motor Vehicles Adjudication Office for more details.

How Do I Contact Organizations To Complete Community Service?

Once you find a nonprofit organization that qualifies, you can contact the organization by finding a contact phone number or email on the organization’s website. If there is a page on the website for volunteers, you can get a direct contact for the organization’s volunteer coordinator. If you can’t find a direct contact, contact the organization’s general phone number or email and let them know you want to volunteer. When you contact them to volunteer, make sure there is someone who will be able to write a letter confirming you completed your community service hours.

Can I Complete my Community Service in Another State?

Yes, you can complete your community service in another state, as long as the organization is a qualifiying non-profit.

Can I perform my community service online?

No, you must complete your community service in person at a qualifying organization.

What Do I Need To Prove I Completed My Community Service?

To prove that you completed your community service hours, you must get a letter from the organization where you completed your hours. The letter must be on letterhead from the nonprofit organization and be an original document, such as letterhead. The Rhode Island Department of Motor Vehicle Adjudication Office states the letter must include your full name, date of birth, the number of hours you have completed, and it must be signed by someone at the organization who has the authority to approve your hours.

Contact Rhode Island DUI Lawyers Today

The knowledgeable attorneys at Ellison Law LLC have helped many clients navigate the legal system after getting charged with a DUI and avoid convictions and other serious consequences that come from a DUI charge. If you or a loved one is facing a DUI charge, please do not hesitate to contact us at 401-230-5520.


Contact Us Today

Fields marked with an “*” are required